Material for a 2-hour lesson, part of the Human Rights and Law Enforcement Course, developed by the Kosovo Police Service School.
The goal of this lesson is to highlight the importance of police in protecting the right to life and the lawful use of force to effective policing.
By the end of the lesson the participants will be able to:
- List at least three documents that protect the right to life based on the handout
- List three situations when deprivation of life shall not be regarded as violation of human rights according to Article 2 of the European Convention of Human Rights
- Establish a link between the work of the police and international human rights standards
- List the three criteria of the use of force
- Explain how the violation of the right to life can be best avoided