International conference on trafficking in persons – Ten years after the institution of the ad hoc Inter-Governmental Committee for the Elaboration of the Palermo Protocol, Palermo, Italy
The aim of this Conference, organised by the Italian mission of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in co-operation with UNICRI, was to promote reflections on recent developments in the area of trafficking in human beings.
On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the start of negotiations for the Palermo Protocol on trafficking in human beings, the Italian mission of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) organised an international conference with the aim of promoting reflections on recent developments of this modern form of slavery.
Topics covered included:
- From the Ad Hoc Committee “traveaux préparatoires” to the Trafficking Protocol,
- Challenges in the implementation of international instruments: the concept of legal culture,
- The Way Ahead – improving the Palermo Protocol implementation over the next 10 years,
- The role of International Organizations in the Palermo Protocol implementation,
- Experiences, challenges and future perspectives in the Protocol implementation in the Mediterranean Area,
- Evaluation of the last 10 years of the Protocol and Recommendations for the 2010 anniversary of the Palermo Conference.