Summary report of the public opinion poll on identification of deviant behaviour among juveniles in the Republic of Armenia
The document covers the findings of the Public Opinion Poll on Evaluation of the Performance of the Arabkir Police Department New Local Police Unit in the conducted by the Proactive Society Human Rights NGO on the commission of the OSCE office in Yerevan
The methodology of the survey on the deviant behavior of juveniles, namely, the pilot public opinion poll, the actual public opinion poll, identification and computer processing of the obtained data, analysis of findings, representation of the findings in charts and tables, was developed in close cooperation with the OSCE Office in Yerevan.
Taking into account the objectives of the public opinion poll and as a result of the discussions, the following methodological approaches were considered:
- Direct opinion poll conducted among 4917 residents of all RA marzes and Yerevan. Based onthe agreement reached, the opinion poll covered residents of two towns and two villages of each marz. As for Yerevan, it covered representatives from all the communities.
- The survey methodology was meticulously elaborated to ensure the utmost effectiveness of both the survey and interpretation of the survey findings.
- Reports on the juveniles’ deviated behavior and juvenile delinquency, as well as the results of the studies carried out by independent researchers and scientists were examined.
During the public opinion poll, the method of direct interviews was applied and a questionnaire developed earlier together with the OSCE Office in Yerevan was used. The public opinion poll was conducted among 4917 residents of the RA aging above 16.
The main objectives of the public opinion poll are as follows:
- evaluate the existing public opinion towards on the juvenile deviant behavior;
- identify the scale of prevalence of juvenile delinquencies;
- evaluate the public’s response to juvenile delinquencies;
- identify the public opinion on effectiveness of police work related to juvenile delinquency prevention;
- identify the public’s assessment on the sanctions applied towards the juveniles showing delinquent behavior;
- clarify the possible changes that need to be urgently incorporated into the works of the Police or other state bodies and educational establishments with respect to prevention of juveniles’ behavior deviations.